Saturday, March 9, 2013

Joshua 9-12

The story of the Israelites' conquest of the Promised Land continues, as, with God's help, they engage and defeat 31 kings and their kingdoms. In doing so, they overcome superior numbers and a number of confederations among kings. And at the Lord's instruction, they slaughter every man, woman and child in those kingdoms (save Rahab and her family, as noted previously). What a horrifying swath of bloodshed they cut through the land. I understand that at some level this must be a metaphor for the ultimate triumph of God's kingdom, for the importance of trusting in Him and being "firm and steadfast." But it also reads like a remorseless and sickening annihilation. I just don't know what to make of it, honestly. It plays into my own fear that, as a sinner, if I stray too far from God, I might be viewed as one of these enemy kingdoms--outside the walls of His protection. Jesus, by His death and Resurrection, is the new covenant that God has promised us--promised me. And I do believe it. But reading passages like this still really scares me.         

No comments:

Post a Comment