Thursday, April 25, 2013

2 Samuel 10-14

The great King David is a rich and complex person. His plot to put Uriah the Hittite in harm's way in battle to ensure his death, so that David can have Uriah's beautiful wife, Bathsheba, reveals David as selfish, covetous, ruthless, and scheming. David's anger at His son, Absalom, for killing another of David's sons (and Absalom's half brother), Amnon, lasts for years--even though the Lord was willing to forgive David when David was sorry for his own transgressions. And David was not moved to anger against Amnon even though Amnon raped his half-sister (and David's own daughter), Tamar. 

Yet David is also a great and caring leader. He loves his people and fights for them. He is deeply remorseful when he sees the error of his ways. He does penance and tries to make amends. He is loyal. He is willing to listen to and learn from others. He seeks to do God's will. He ultimately reconciles with Absalom.


I was moved by the parable Nathan told David, shaming him into seeing the error of his ways in having his faithful soldier, Uriah, killed. It is a parable of greed and covetousness. Of not being satisfied and thankful for what one has. Of feeling somehow cheated if others have good things or beauty or success. David seemingly has everything, yet wants more. 


Yes, there are times when this parable speaks to me--but less so as I get older. God has been incredibly good to me. I have much to be grateful for--more than I deserve, to be honest about it. I don't very often look at what others have and wish I had it. Although I have to confess I might switch places with Robinson Cano for a couple of years and finally fulfill my dream to play second base for the New York Yankees.

No comments:

Post a Comment