Sunday, April 28, 2013

2 Samuel 19-24

David's humanity continues to be on full display as he mourns the death of his son, Absalom. Let's face it, his wayward, ungrateful son. But a son David loved nevertheless--as God the Father loves me. The image of the grieving father again appears in the Old Testament. How much more, I imagine, did God the Father weep and mourn at His blameless Son's suffering and death!

Finally, though, Joab tells David that mourning so deeply and openly at his son's death is actually bringing David to shame with his people, since it appears to them that David is loving one who hated David (that is, Absalom), while hating those who love him (that is, the people of Israel). Joab admonishes him: "Go out and speak kindly to your servants." This strikes a chord with David, who is a leader at heart, and he takes successful steps to again win the Judahites over. 

In short order, David reconciles with others as well. Shimei, who had made David suffer by calling him a murderer in public, comes to David now seeking forgiveness with these heartfelt and beautiful words:

May my lord not hold me guilty, and may he not remember and take to heart the wrong that your servant did the day my lord the king left Jerusalem. For your servant knows that he had done wrong.

David forgives Shimei. 

Meribbaal, son of Saul, also seeks, and receives, David's mercy. David shows favor to Barzillai, who helped David during the period when he had been driven from Jerusalem.  Soon, though, some of the Israelites--led by Sheba--rebel against David and the Judahites. But Joab brings about Sheba's death and ends the rebellion.

After so much has transpired, David sings a beautiful song of thanksgiving to the Lord, which includes the words:

In my distress I called upon the Lord
and cried out to my God;
From his temple he heard my voice, 
and my cry reached his ears.
*      *      *      *
He set me free in the open, 
and rescued me because he loves me.
*      *      *      *      
You are my lamp, O Lord!
O my God, you brighten the darkness about me.
*      *      *      *
He is a shield to all who take refuge in him.
*      *      *      *
The Lord live! And blessed be my Rock!
Extolled be my God, rock of my salvation.

Such beautiful words of praise and thanksgiving from a man who was truly blessed in the eyes of the Lord--but who also sinned much and suffered much. 

We can do great things in our own lives, trying to live as God asks us, showing mercy and generosity to others. And even though we sin and fall short, as David did, God will still hear our cry, will still set us free, will still brighten our darkness, shield us from our enemies, and be a rock for us.  Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment