Wednesday, April 24, 2013

2 Samuel 5-9

David's reign over all of Israel is confirmed, as all the tribes anoint him as their king. David is a good and godly ruler, who realizes

that the Lord had established him as king of Israel and exalted his rule for the sake of his people Israel.

God then enables David and the Israelites to defeat the Philistines, and David acknowledges:

The Lord has scattered my enemies before me like waters that have broken free.

In thanksgiving, David has the ark of the covenant brought to Jerusalem, and celebrates joyfully with his people. Prefiguring the coming of Jesus, the Lord then promises David:

I will give you rest from all your enemies. The Lord also reveals to you that he will establish a house for you. And when your time comes and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your heir after you, sprung from your loins, and I will make his kingdom firm. It is he who shall build a house for my name. And I will make his royal throne firm forever. I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me.

David praises God for his blessings and for this special promise. Looking backward, in a sense, David also finds it in himself to honor Saul (and his beloved friend Jonathan) one more time, by gifting all the property that had formerly been Saul's to his surviving grandson (and Jonathan's son), Meribbaal. He further honors Meribbaal by insisting that Meribbaal be seated with him at the king's table for his meals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment