Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Deuteronomy 1-6 Part 2

I said I wouldn't do this very often, but I haven't been able to get the following verse from Deuteronomy off my mind: 

The Lord, your God, who goes before you, will himself fight for you, just as he took your part before your very eyes in Egypt, as well as in the desert, where you saw how the Lord, your God, carried you as a man carries his child, all along your journey until you arrived at this place. Despite this, you would not trust the Lord, your God.

I remember well carrying my children as babies up and down the floor in the evenings.  They were colicky. As an infant, my youngest could somehow distinguish even as he neared sleep, between when I was holding him standing or sitting. And he'd never let me sit until he was fully asleep. There were evenings it was exhausting, but I loved it.  And I miss it.  How comforting to think God feels that same tenderness for me. He carries me as a father carries a child all along my journey through life to the promised land. And yet, still, I have trouble really letting go and trusting the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment