Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Numbers 8-10:10

Shortly before the Israelites set out from Sinai, the Lord instructs them in the purification of the Levites, the priests who are dedicated to the Lord. What I love about this passage is that God calls on the entire community of Israelites to gather and to lay hands upon the Levites to purify and sanctify them in their service to the Lord. There is a vital link between serving God and serving the community--they are completely intertwined. It is true today of the religious and the priesthood, but also true for all of us who are called by God in love, whatever our vocation. Love and service for God and for our neighbor are in many ways indistinguishable. Chapter 9 closes with another description of the fiery cloud that has guided the Israelites, and which will continue to guide them on their journey to the promised land. The cloud is God's message and instruction to the Israelites about the timing and path of their journey. 

Thus, it was always at the bidding of the Lord that they encamped, and at his bidding that they set out; ever heeding the charge of the Lord.

God wants to guide me and direct me on my own journey to the promised land, to salvation. I pray that I am able to see His Will for me as clearly as the Israelites were able to see the fiery cloud, and that, when I see it, I have the courage to follow.

One last thought here. It is fitting, and likely a very direct message to me, that I am reading this passage today, Ash Wednesday. Like the Israelites, the Church and I myself, embark today on 40 days in the desert of Lent on our way to the promised land of the Resurrection. I hope that I am able to make this a meaningful journey of preparation. But for today at least I will try to remember that I am indeed dust, and to dust I shall return, and I will strive to repent and make straight the way of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment