Monday, February 4, 2013

Leviticus 13:40-14:57

The discussion of leprosy continues and provides more support for the idea that it serves as a metaphor for sinfulness. The leper must rent his garments, keep his head bare, muffle his beard, and cry out "Unclean, unclean!" Moreover, the leper must be separated from the community and "dwell apart." When I sin, when I am less than the best version of myself (the self God created me to be), then I do set myself apart from the community. My sinfulness diminishes me, eats at me if you will, and prevents me from embracing God and my community. My sinfulness isolates me. I find it isolates me even from myself. As if I lose myself and cannot seem to find my way back. When this happens, I find it very frightening. It feels cold and dark. I imagine it is what Hell is--not flames and pain, but dark isolation, like outer space. No connection to anyone; no light and no warmth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment