Monday, February 11, 2013

Numbers 3:33-5:31

The Lord continues to instruct Moses and Aaron in preparation for the Israelite's departure from the base of Mt. Sinai. He directs them to assign certain tasks relating to the Dwelling to particular clans within the group of Israelites. The passage shifts to a discussion about expelling the unclean, such as lepers, from the encampment, and then on to directions about the test to be used to confirm a hsuband's suspicions that his wife has committed adultery. In Rediscover Catholicism, Matthew Kelly identifies fasting as one of the seven pillars of the Catholic life. He explains that to give oneself in love (to God, to a spouse), one first must possess oneself. Self-possession, in turn, is aided by--indeed, is impossible without--self-discipline. Habits of discipline when it comes to food, drink, and other daily aspects of our lives can help build and strengthen the discipline we need to be the best version of ourselves and to give ourselves in love to others. As I read Kelly's explanation, I thought of Leviticus and Numbers. The Lord is preparing the Israelites for a journey to the promised land. This time of preparation includes a great deal of detailed instruction from God about what they may and may not do, what they may and may not eat, etc. Perhaps one of God's purposes in this was to instill a sense of individual and communal discipline, which would steel the Israelites for the journey ahead, but would also ready them for entry into the promised land. Likewise, God calls me to look at my habits and my actions, calls me to be more disciplined, for example, about what I ingest (do I treat my body right?) and what I say (do I use appropriate language? Is it sharp, sarcastic, inappropriate?). Living more disciplined in this manner helps to make straight the way for the Lord. As we approach the start of Lent (early this year!), I would like to focus more on this self-possession and self-discipline to help ready myself for Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment